ARTHUR TALKS ABOUT run the dogs
2017-11-09 14:24:11 UTC
1) We like to run the dogs along the beach.
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=run
transitive
To allow to move without restraint: We like to run the dogs along the beach.
So, according to the dictionary, that sentence means: We like to allow
the dogs to move without restraint along the beach.
I suppose the dogs might walk, or run along the beach, as it pleases them.
I came across that sentence in the dictionary by chance. Before reading that entry in the dictionary, to me, '1' would have meant 'We made the dogs run along the beach.' I would assume that the owners ran on the beach and the dogs
ran alongside them.
What does '1' mean to you?
Gratefully,
Navi.
I'll bet this Arthur feller is one who also closes the lid on the shitter.
LOL
Obsessive/compulsive if ever there was....
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-11-09 14:31:50 UTC
1) We like to run the dogs along the beach.
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=run
transitive
To allow to move without restraint: We like to run the dogs along the beach.
So, according to the dictionary, that sentence means: We like to allow
the dogs to move without restraint along the beach.
Okay, class, I'll take this one, being a world-class grammarian and all....
First off, one must understand that meaning conveyed by language don't exist in a vacuum, as it were. No, not hardly. Along the the actual semantic structure, environment must come into play. As a result, language can't mean the same thing in a universal, singular sense, but rather exists as a multiplicity related to numerous external factors.

Any questions?
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Oh, an' in case some of you is wonderin', yes...I'm also a philosopher.
Checkmate, DoW Numero Uno
2017-11-09 18:20:49 UTC
Checkmate! In article <YGZMB.524$%***@fx22.iad>, ***@std-
girls.com says...
1) We like to run the dogs along the beach.
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=run
transitive
To allow to move without restraint: We like to run the dogs along the beach.
So, according to the dictionary, that sentence means: We like to allow
the dogs to move without restraint along the beach.
Okay, class, I'll take this one, being a world-class grammarian and all....
First off, one must understand that meaning conveyed by language don't exist in a vacuum, as it were.  No, not hardly.  Along the the actual semantic structure, environment must come into play.  As a result, language can't mean the same thing in a universal, singular sense, but rather exists as a multiplicity related to numerous external factors.
Any questions?
Oh, an' in case some of you is wonderin', yes...I'm also a philosopher.
You too? I'm also a philosopher! I even have philosophy group called
alt.philosophy.checkmate. (added)
--
Checkmate

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017

"I'm simply going to focus my efforts. I've dropped my trolling
endeavors in six groups just to help increase the pressure on you."

-Baby Matthew "Mad Hatter" Moulton explains how he plans to "destroy"
me+... back in 2001

Copyright © 2017
all rights reserved
Checkmate, DoW Numero Uno
2017-11-09 18:18:09 UTC
Checkmate! In article <nFZMB.523$%***@fx22.iad>, ***@std-
girls.com says...
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
1) We like to run the dogs along the beach.
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=run
transitive
To allow to move without restraint: We like to run the dogs along the beach.
So, according to the dictionary, that sentence means: We like to allow
the dogs to move without restraint along the beach.
Okay, class, I'll take this one, being a world-class grammarian and all....
First off, one must understand that meaning conveyed by language don't exist in a vacuum, as it were. No, not hardly. Along the the actual semantic structure, environment must come into play. As a result, language can't mean the same thing in a universal, singular sense, but rather exists as a multiplicity related to numerous external factors.
Any questions?
Isn't that just a fancy way of sayin' "Fuck you!"?

all rights reserved
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-11-10 03:56:35 UTC
Post by Checkmate, DoW Numero Uno
[...]
Not at all. It's maybe that these dullards can't understand me is all.