So... now it's 94 kills?
Add Reply
!Jones
2017-04-15 23:46:33 UTC
Why don't we throw in a few generals just for grins?

First of all, we don't even have our people on site yet.

And, even if they were, all they'd see would be blasted earth. If we
got anybody, they're buried. How do we know we killed 94? We may as
well say it was 9,400 because nobody can say it wasn't.

But the bean counters want to know: how many? So, we make up some
number that sounds good... and hope they don't demand to see the
bodies!

I dunno where people get the idea that those things are new; we had
'em in 'Nam. As I recall, they were called "Blue-82s", but they
weren't blue. They'd use 'em when they needed to knock a hole in the
canopy quickly to bring in something. It had a long pole on the nose
that, I guess, set it off before it dug in. I recall 'em being more
egg-shaped that the current pictures.

Jones
de chucka
2017-04-16 00:56:36 UTC
Post by !Jones
Why don't we throw in a few generals just for grins?
First of all, we don't even have our people on site yet.
And, even if they were, all they'd see would be blasted earth. If we
got anybody, they're buried. How do we know we killed 94? We may as
well say it was 9,400 because nobody can say it wasn't.
But the bean counters want to know: how many? So, we make up some
number that sounds good... and hope they don't demand to see the
bodies!
I dunno where people get the idea that those things are new; we had
'em in 'Nam. As I recall, they were called "Blue-82s",
BLU, the so called MOAB is much larger and is ideal for tunnels as it
would de-oxyganate them as well as the damage from the shock wave. The
Russians supposedly have a bigger air-fuel bomb the- FOABs
!Jones
2017-04-16 14:09:01 UTC
x-no-idiots: yes

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 10:56:36 +1000, in alt.war.vietnam de chucka
Post by de chucka
BLU, the so called MOAB is much larger and is ideal for tunnels as it
would de-oxyganate them as well as the damage from the shock wave. The
Russians supposedly have a bigger air-fuel bomb the- FOABs
Oh, once you get them so big, they're pretty much all the same. A
hammer is just a hammer; I mean, me pint bein' that a bigger hammer
isn't exactly an entirely new concept. They had to be smaller in '69
because the airplanes we had at the time could only get off the ground
with about seven and a half tons or so. I don't know why it would
"de-oxyganate" the caves (whatever that is); however, if you say so,
it must be so.

The fuel-air bombs are really tricky WRT wind and getting the timing
just right... of so I hear; I've never seen one. I have also heard
that simply adding fuel doesn't do much good in terms of a bigger
bang. About 30 years ago, we had a massive fuel-air natural gas
explosion in a relatively unoccupied area of Texas that was estimated
to be in the kilo-tons... dunno.

I do know that earth is more dense than the air; therefore, an air
burst will always tend to dissipate upwards. You get an impressive
looking 'splosion that *must* have killed at least a hunnert people
because it was *so* big, but really didn't accomplish very much
besides show. It's kind of like having a WWII era depth-charge
detonate just above the water's surface; it would *look* impressive,
but it wouldn't bother a submarine very much.

Jones
Ben
2017-04-16 12:00:31 UTC
Post by !Jones
[...]
Why the 21,000 lbs bomb only killed 94? The decision to drop the bomb may be political. This is a guerrilla warfare in which enemy troop concentration is often low, so the use of MOAB is not efficient.
During the Vietnam war, the U.S. used several bombing raids just to destroy a $100 bamboo bridge, and in some instance, a $1 million F105/F4 was shot down just to destroy this $100 bridge. The U.S. used more ordinance in Vietnam than it used in WW II, but most of the bombs were dropped on rocks and jungles. Stanley Karnow visited Hanoi after the war and was surprise that Hanoi and major cities in North Vietnam were still intact.
In 1975, ARVN dropped a 5,000-10,000 lbs Cluster Daisy/CBU bomb at Xuan Loc battle and killed several thousands NVAs.
!Jones
2017-04-16 14:30:45 UTC
x-no-idiots: yes

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 05:00:31 -0700 (PDT), in alt.war.vietnam Ben
Post by Ben
Why the 21,000 lbs bomb only killed 94? The decision to drop the bomb may be political. This is a guerrilla warfare in which enemy troop concentration is often low, so the use of MOAB is not efficient.
During the Vietnam war, the U.S. used several bombing raids just to destroy a $100 bamboo bridge, and in some instance, a $1 million F105/F4 was shot down just to destroy this $100 bridge. The U.S. used more ordinance in Vietnam than it used in WW II, but most of the bombs were dropped on rocks and jungles. Stanley Karnow visited Hanoi after the war and was surprise that Hanoi and major cities in North Vietnam were still intact.
In 1975, ARVN dropped a 5,000-10,000 lbs Cluster Daisy/CBU bomb at Xuan Loc battle and killed several thousands NVAs.
Once upon a time, when I was a soldier in the Vietnam War, we had
accumulated lots of dud (or outdated) ordinance. It lay around in a
pile getting larger each day for months. One day, the CO told the XO
to get rid of it. The XO told the first shirt and he told the
sergeant... and so on down the chain until it got to the "[Gook]
chaser". I do not usually use that term anymore... you know, the
flunky that can't do anything else.

I was leaving the hanger when the chaser drove up with a couple of
tons of explosives and said: "Hey, Jones! Wanna have some fun?" Now,
back in those days, I didn't always make real sound decisions;
however, when the chaser drove up with over two tons of high
explosives bouncing around in the bed of a duce & a half, something
told me that there weren't nuthin' good gonna come of that. I told
him that I couldn't handle any more fun that day and thanked him for
the offer.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, he drove that stuff about 50 meters beyond
the berm, unloaded it in a big pile, fused a block of C4, and drove
away.

I had forgotten about the chaser until a shower of broken fluorescent
light bulbs reminded me about the explosives. I got up off of what
served as a "floor" and started to go outside, when I realized it was
raining 40MM ammunition from a bunch of old belts that were on top.
EOD came in and tried to cover them with orange cones, but there were
so many, they ran out of cones.

And a grand time was had by all.

Jones