Trump Selling Qatar Billions in Weapons Only Days After Accusing It of Supporting Terrorism
George
2017-06-15 11:56:55 UTC
Trump Selling Qatar Billions in Weapons Only Days After
Accusing It of Supporting Terrorism

The U.S. military announced a similar $21.1 billion deal in
November for 72 F-15QA fighter jets for Qatar in the waning
days of the Obama administration

A deal between the United States and Qatar for F-15 fighter
jets and a visit to Doha by two American warships on Thursday
showed the vital military links Washington maintains with a
country now in a dispute with several other Arab nations.

Qatar remains the home of some 10,000 American troops at a
major U.S. military base in the Mideast. So far, the dispute
between Doha and nations led by Saudi Arabia has yet to shake
that partnership, though cracks are showing in responses from
President Donald Trump and his administration.
Get all updates on Trump and the Middle East: Download our
free App, and Subscribe >>
The announcement comes just days after Trump called on Qatar to
stop funding of groups that commit terrorism, saying the Gulf
nation had historically done so "at a very high level."

"No civilized nation can tolerate this violence or allow this
wicked ideology to spread on its shores," Trump told reporters
last Friday at the White House, where he was holding a joint
news conference with Romanian President Klaus Iohannis.

In Washington, Qatari Defense Minister Khalid bin Mohammed
al-Attiyah met Wednesday with U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
and signed a deal for F-15 fighter jets it described as being
worth $12 billion.

"Qatar and the United States have solidified their military
cooperation by having fought together side by side for many
years now in an effort to eradicate terrorism and promote a
future of dignity and prosperity," al-Attiyah said in a
statement.

The U.S. military announced a similar $21.1 billion deal in
November for 72 F-15QA fighter jets for Qatar in the waning
days of the Obama administration. It wasn't immediately clear
if the two deals were one in the same. Qatari officials did not
immediately respond to questions Thursday, though a State
Department official connected the two sales.

The signing comes as Mattis has offered his support to Qatar in
the past. Mattis formerly oversaw the U.S. military's Central
Command, whose forward operating base is at the vast al-Udeid
Air Base in Qatar. That base serves an important role in
managing the fight against the Islamic State group in Iraq and
Syria, as well as war in Afghanistan.

The State Department official, speaking to The Associated Press
on condition of anonymity to discuss an internal matter
publicly, said the sale will take years to complete.

Meanwhile, the USS Chinook, a coastal patrol ship, and U.S.
Coast Guard Cutter Baranof both were in Doha on Thursday, said
Cmdr. Bill Urban of the U.S. Navy's Bahrain-based 5th Fleet. He
called the trip a "routine port visit," though Qatar's
state-run news agency described the presence as being part of a
"joint exercise" with the Qatari navy.

"U.S. 5th Fleet ships conduct similar port visits throughout
the region as part of our normal operations," Urban told the
AP.

The crisis between Qatar and its Arab neighbors, all U.S.
allies, has put America in a delicate situation. Mattis has
described Qatar as "moving in the right direction," while U.S.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said called for Arab Gulf
nations to remain united.

Trump, meanwhile, repeatedly has accused Qatar of funding
terrorist groups, one of the main allegations levied by Saudi
Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain when they
initially cut diplomatic ties on June 5.

Qatar long has been trying to secure its relations with the
U.S., whether through hosting the American military base or an
office for the Taliban, said David B. Roberts, an assistant
professor at King's College London who recently wrote the book
"Qatar: Securing the Global Ambitions of a City-State."

The recent mixed message from the Trump administration,
however, has it working even harder, he said.

"Qatar long has wanted to make itself a particularly important
ally for America where it can," Roberts said. "It has been a
bit of a pain at times in other things ... but the American
angle has often been very important."

The crisis has seen Saudi Arabia cut off its land border with
Qatar, the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

After an initial run on grocery stores by nervous residents,
Qatar has organized dairy shipments from Turkey while Shiite
power Iran also has begun shipping in food. Qatar's ties with
Iran, with whom it shares a major offshore natural gas field,
is another criticism of the Arab countries.

Doha also has begun running cargo shipments from ports in Oman
after seeing its sea routes to the UAE's major ports cut off.
But its cutoff air travel routes remain problematic.

Typically, Qatar Airways flights West flew over Saudi Arabia.
But with that airspace now closed off, the airline is flying
longer routes over Iran and Turkey. Its regional feeder flights
in Saudi Arabia and the UAE also have been cut off.

Qatar has filed complaints to the Montreal-based International
Civil Aviation Organization, a U.N. agency, calling the Arab
nations' refusal to let it fly through their airspace illegal.
In a statement, the organization said it would host ministers
and senior officials from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE
and Bahrain on Thursday.

"For now, we are working to bring these states together towards
a solution which satisfies both their current regional concerns
and the global needs and expectations of passengers and
shippers," the statement said.

However, it remains unclear how the organization that doesn't
issue binding rules could force the Arab nations to reopen
their airspace to Qatar.

"If I was betting now, I would suggest this is going to go on
for a very long time," Roberts said of the crisis.

http://www.haaretz.com/us-news/1.795903
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2017-06-15 12:29:36 UTC
As such, his cut and paste news story has been deleted by Colonel Edmund J. Burke Truth Scanner.
Siri Cruise
2017-06-15 14:44:09 UTC
Post by George
Qatar remains the home of some 10,000 American troops at a
major U.S. military base in the Mideast. So far, the dispute
Maybe the Orange Idiot finally listenned when he was told this?
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
Free the Amos Yee one. This post / \
Yeah, too bad about your so-called life. Ha-ha. insults Islam. Mohammed
Jack G
Coming from a pink idiot like you does not impress many people.
Rod
2017-06-15 16:58:50 UTC
Post by George
Trump Selling Qatar Billions in Weapons Only Days After
Accusing It of Supporting Terrorism
The U.S. military announced a similar $21.1 billion deal in
November for 72 F-15QA fighter jets for Qatar in the waning
days of the Obama administration
What the hell ??? We should not be selling anyone weapons
of any kind. if anything...we should be discouraging war,
not helping it to take place !
Patrick
2017-06-15 18:30:29 UTC
Post by Rod
Post by George
Trump Selling Qatar Billions in Weapons Only Days After
Accusing It of Supporting Terrorism
The U.S. military announced a similar $21.1 billion deal in
November for 72 F-15QA fighter jets for Qatar in the waning
days of the Obama administration
What the hell ??? We should not be selling anyone weapons
of any kind. if anything...we should be discouraging war,
not helping it to take place !
The full arms sale, of over $20 billion for 72 F-15QA fighter jets,
was notified in November 2016. This means it had already been
authorized by congress and the executive branch, when President Obama
was in office, before the Trump administration came into office

There are more than 10,000 U.S. service members at the U.S. central
command base in Qatar. The U.S. commander there has said there are "no
plans to change our posture in Qatar" amid a Gulf diplomatic crisis.

The State Department describes this sale as fermenting U.S. efforts to
"strengthen the security and defense architecture of the region." They
point out that it does not directly conflict with the current regional
dispute as it will take years to complete and fill the sale in full.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sells-qatar-12-billion-arms-days-after-accusing-it-of-funding-terrorism/
Malcolm McMahon
2017-06-17 13:06:27 UTC
Post by Patrick
Post by Rod
Post by George
[...]
Presumably Trump didn't get the memo, or more likely didn't bother to read it.

I suspect the Saudis persuaded him the actions against Quatar were his own
idea. I've noticed that salesmen are pretty gullible.
Mattb.
2017-06-17 20:51:50 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:06:27 -0000 (UTC), Malcolm McMahon
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by Patrick
Post by Rod
Post by George
[...]
During Mr. Trump's recent visit to Riyadh, he made a point of telling
reporters during a photo spray with the Qatari emir that he was going
to sell Qatar "big beautiful weapons." In the wake of the diplomatic
crisis -- and Mr. Trump's public statements raising concern about
alleged Qatari funding of terrorism -- there were questions about
whether the arms deal would go through. However, on Wednesday, in
Washington, Defense Secretary James Mattis formally signed the letter
of offer and acceptance for the purchase.

---
Siri Cruise
2017-06-17 21:30:08 UTC
Post by Mattb.
crisis -- and Mr. Trump's public statements raising concern about
alleged Qatari funding of terrorism -- there were questions about
So if we can get Alternate News to print the Tea Party getw support for Iran,
that will be enough for Drumpf outlaw the Tea Party and drone bomb their
headquarters?
Mattb.
2017-06-17 21:45:27 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Mattb.
crisis -- and Mr. Trump's public statements raising concern about
alleged Qatari funding of terrorism -- there were questions about
So if we can get Alternate News to print the Tea Party getw support for Iran,
that will be enough for Drumpf outlaw the Tea Party and drone bomb their
headquarters?
I do not propose violence toward people based on political position we
have has enough of that lately from Berkeley and Baseball games.

---

dolf
2017-06-17 21:42:45 UTC
-- MOTHER'S LITTLE HELPERS

(c) 2017 Dolf Leendert Boek, Revision: 18 June, 2017

- http://www.grapple369.com?date:2017.6.18

"TRUMP IS OFF SOMEWHERES.
FAKE NEWS HELTER SKELTER.
EVERYONE CHANTS DESPAIRS.
PARADES OF MUMMY HELPER.
MELINDA HAS LOST SOME PAIRS.
MIGHT HE WEAR 'EM AS WELTER?
PRANCING WITH SUCH AYRES."

A minion's guide to the GRAPPLE fine ART (#369) of buggery in knowing the
ostentatious mustering dynamics of your free range HOMO [iOS] SAPIEN [T]
pets.

- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRmc7Bm7indT3FoUGV6NUpTM2M

YOUTUBE: "Mother's Little Helper - Rolling Stones - Oldies Refreshed"

-

DO CHECK OUT MY CURRENT IN PROGRESS CHAPTERS:

* DATA MINING NANO PROBE
* VERY THOUGHT OF YOU ON SABBATH (17 JUNE 2017) DAY
* STEVE {CROWN} SINCLAIR'S DARK MORPHOLOGY ARTS 🎭 AND BRUNHILDA'S STOLEN
CHILDREN

SAY SOMETHING WITTY AND I MIGHT INCLUDE YOU:

- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRmc7Bm7indNkFKVl84OHhvWTA

Post by Malcolm McMahon
#5 / #6: Say NO to anonymous fascist propaganda every time.

REALITY OF HOMO[IOS] SAPIEN[T] WHO IS INSTANTIATED WITHIN THE TEMPORAL

prototypes which are prerequisite to the BEING of HOMO[IOS] SAPIEN[T] as
EXISTENCE.

- http://www.grapple369.com

TETRAD/TETRACTYS."